Conservatory of Flowers
Originally constructed in 1878, the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park is a Victorian style, wood frame conservatory that is the oldest building in Golden Gate Park.Over the years, the Conservatory experienced major deterioration of its wood structural members and glass skin. In December 1995, a series of storms severely damaged the structure and forced its closure. In 1998 the World Monuments Fund placed the Conservatory on the list of 100 most endangered world monuments. In 1999, Save America’s Treasures and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton adopted the Conservatory and renovation began shortly thereafter.Working with Architectural Resources Group as Associated Architects, Baker Vilar Architects was in charge of designing two new outbuildings for staff and public use. The new staff building provides storage, restrooms and shower facilities for Conservatory staff. It includes a fertilizer room, pump room and battery room used for the conservatory’s operations and emergency backup. A new public restroom structure is located to the north and adjacent to the Conservatory.The Conservatory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the California Register of Historic Places. Additionally, the Conservatory is a City and County of San Francisco Landmark and a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Winner of the 2005 AIA San Francisco Honor Award
- Address: Golden Gate Park
- City: San Francisco, CA
- Client: Architectural Resources Group for the City & County of San Francisco